Policies and Procedures
- Organizational Structure
- Inter-Library Loan
- Unattended Children
- Computer and Internet Use
- Confidentiality of Records
The Bulverde/Spring Branch Library serves the population of western Comal County.
The library provides the following services for our community.
- Fiction and Non-Fiction materials
- DVDs/Audio books/Music
- Children’s services, including a busy storytelling schedule
- Books, games, puppets, DVDs and audio books for children of all ages
- Extremely active Friends of the Library (FOL) group
- Book Nook - used book sales
- Summer reading programs
- Young adult collections and programs
- Informative, entertaining programs for adults and older adults
- National, state and local newspapers and magazines
- High speed Internet access
- Faxing, copying and printing, in both color and black & white
- Exam proctoring
- Meeting rooms for community organizations
- Bluebonnet Program
- Education Resource Center for teachers, parents, and homeschoolers
- Large print books
- Foreign language materials with an emphasis on Spanish
- Texana and Local History Collections
- Business Collection
- Reference Service
- Hallway Art Displays
- Access to full-text TexShare databases
- Display cases with rotating exhibits and collections
- Federal tax forms
- Literacy Programs - ESL/GED
- Inter-library Loan Services
- Book discussion Groups
- Volunteer opportunities
- Primary role is to function as a source of support for the preschool, school age children and adults of the Bulverde/Spring Branch area and Comal County.
- Serve as a center for independent and assisted learning.
- Provide a safe environment for patrons of all ages to explore new materials in a non-threatening atmosphere.
- Provide exposure to a wide range of authors. both fiction and non-fiction
- Provide materials in all formats such as DVD, CD and audio books to accommodate multiple learning styles and patron demand
Bulverde/Spring Branch Library is governed by a five member Board of Trustees of the Bulverde Area Rural Library District which is elected by voters of the Bulverde/Spring Branch area. The Board in turn hires a Library Director who oversees the operations of the library and its staff. The Director is also in charge of hiring staff members and overseeing the volunteer program(s).
Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. -5:00 p.m.
The following holidays shall be observed by the library.
- New Years Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day, Friday and Saturday
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
All residents of Texas are eligible and encouraged to receive a Bulverde/Spring Branch Library borrower's card. Service shall not be denied or abridged because of religious, racial, physical, social, economic or political status. Borrowing privileges must be updated annually in order to maintain accurate records. There is no charge for a borrower's card. Customers can receive one replacement card per year at no charge. Subsequent replacement of lost cards will cost $3.00.
To receive a Bulverde/Spring Branch Library borrower's card, an application card providing the following information must be completed:
A valid Texas driver's license and current residential address OR photo ID and one of the following:
- Voter registration card
- Bills verifying residency
- Postmarked letter
- Food Stamp Card
- U.S. Military ID
- Tax Bill
Non-residents who own property and pay taxes in Texas may receive a card by showing proof of payment of taxes.
Non-residents living in Texas on a temporary basis may obtain a library card for a fee of $5.00 per quarter. To receive a non-resident library card, an application card must be completed and the following information provided:
- A picture ID with current residential address and
- Rental receipt from an "in district" landlord OR
- A postmarked letter showing current residency
Patrons under 18 years of age may receive a borrower's card. A parent or guardian must sign an application form giving the child permission to borrow materials, accepting full responsibility for any damaged or lost materials. If the parent or guardian already has a current borrower's card, no further identification is needed to obtain a card for their child.
Any patron who loses his/her library card or has it stolen must report this loss to the library immediately. The library will reissue the card and take steps to ensure that no false use is made of the missing card. Until a card is reported lost, the patron is responsible for its use.
The library discourages patrons from lending their library card to others. This may lead to problems if materials borrowed are lost or overdue. In all cases, the holder of the library card is responsible for all transactions on his/her card including payment for lost materials.
Services of the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library are available to all Texas residents.
The use of the library or its services may be denied for due cause such as failure to return books or pay fines, destruction of library property, disturbance of other properties or any other objectionable conduct on library premises.
Failure to pay fees and return books may result in the loss of borrowing privileges. All fees must be cleared before a library card can be renewed or replaced.
Patrons will not be allowed access to library services if their fees exceed $3.00, unless approved by library staff.
- Renewals may be done over the phone, in the library, or online.
- Materials on reserve will not be renewed
- Limit of no more than one renewal
- Print materials: limit of 30 books for two weeks
- New Books: limit of five items for two weeks
- CDs: limit of five for two weeks
- Audio-Books: limit of five for two weeks
- DVDs/Videos: limit of ten for one week
- Newspapers/Magazines: Current issues do not circulate but older issues can be checked out
- Reference Books: Non-circulating without permission from library staff
All media must be returned with all cover art, booklets, inserts, and liner notes. Patrons will be assessed the full replacement cost for items not returned in their entirety.
All borrowed materials will be returned in the condition they were borrowed. Patrons are responsible for all damaged and lost materials and a processing fee of $5.00 will be assessed for all items declared damaged or lost.
For households with multiple cards, library services may be denied when any of these cards exceed the $5.00 threshold.
Overdue materials are costly to the patron and the library and create an inconvenience for other library patrons waiting for items. To offset labor costs and aid in replacing missing materials, the following policies will be observed:
A fee of 10 cents per day will be charged for overdue print materials.
A fee of 50 cents per day will be charged for overdue DVDs and videos.
A first overdue notice will be mailed 14 days after the due date.
A final overdue notice for the cost of the book plus accrued fines and postage will be mailed 28 days after the due date.
Failure to pay fees and/or return books after the final notice will result in the loss of borrowing privileges.
All borrowed materials will be returned in the condition in which they were borrowed. Patrons are responsible for all damaged and lost materials and a processing fee of $5.00 will be assessed for all items declared damaged or lost.
Patrons borrowing an ILL (inter-library loan) item will be charged the cost of return postage, in addition to the cost assessed by the lending library.
Fax transmission charges: $2.00 for the first page and a dollar per page thereafter, with the exception of overseas faxes.
Fax reception charges: 10 cents per page.
Black & white copies and prints: 10 cents per page.
Color copies and prints: $1.00 per page.
*These are general guidelines. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of library staff.
The purpose of Inter-library Loan (ILL) is to expand the range and scope of materials available to our patrons. Each item will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but the following policies will apply:
Only patrons with a valid Bulverde/Spring Branch Library card are eligible for ILL services.
ILL will not be used for items already owned by the library, regardless of demand.
Patrons may request new materials, including books, journal and magazine articles and media items. However, there is no guarantee all requests will be filled.
Purchase of materials and fulfillment of ILL requests is dependent on the availability of that item from other borrowing agencies. If library staff decides against purchasing the item, an inter-library Loan request may be filled.
There is no cost on any ILL material unless it is not picked up. If the item is not picked up, the price is $2.50 per item to cover postage and handling.
Library staff will contact the patron requesting the materials as soon as it arrives and is processed. Payment will be accepted when the materials are picked up.
Library patrons are fully responsible for all costs for overdue, damaged or lost items.
If a patron no longer wants an item after an ILL request has been filled, he or she will still pay the fee of $2.50 if they do not pick the item up.
The Bulverde/Spring Branch Library encourages children to visit the library and wants each experience to be memorable and enjoyable. Regular visits to the library help foster a life-long love of reading: a key barometer of academic and professional success in the future. However,
The care and behavior of minors visiting the library is the sole responsibility of the parent/guardian, and the library will not act in the place of parents.
Our staff cannot supervise children; therefore, parents and child-care providers assume full responsibility for the behavior of all children they bring to the library.
Preschool children may not be left unattended at any time.
If a child is left unattended in the library near closing time, staff will first attempt to contact the parents or care-providers. If they cannot be contacted, staff will call the Library Director and Comal County Sheriff’s Office.
The Internet enables the Library to provide information beyond the confines of its own collection, providing access to ideas and information from around the globe. Currently, it is an unregulated communication medium. While it offers access to material that is personally, professionally, and culturally enriching to individuals of all ages, it also enables access to material that may be offensive, disturbing, inaccurate and/or illegal.
In the event all computers are in use, a time limit of 45 minutes will be enforced.
A waiting list will be started and patrons will be assigned workstations at the sole discretion of library staff. A patron that is currently using a computer cannot sign the waiting list. The patron must wait until they are no longer using the computer to sign the waiting list.
Internet computers will not be used to engage in illegal activity or to access materials considered obscene by local community standards.
Library employees are authorized to take prompt and appropriate actions to enforce the Rules of Conduct, and/or to prohibit use by persons who fail to comply with the Internet Acceptable Use Policy as stated or implied herein.
The parent or legal guardian will determine a minor's access to the Internet.
Patrons under the age of 18 must have signed parental permission to use the Internet, and all children 12 and under must have a parent or guardian with them at the computer at all times, unless approved by library staff.
The Bulverde/Spring Branch Library (BSBL) supports every patron’s right to have his or her library records remain confidential. These records include patron registration data, circulation records, overdue and reserve records, participation in library sponsored programs, records of library visits, use of Internet including sites visited and any containing information linking specific patrons with specific materials or services used.
Each patron has individual control over his or her borrower’s card and presentation of the card permits access to information about the borrower’s circulation record. Except during the actual period of transaction (circulation, maintenance of record on outstanding fines or lost items, reservation of materials), the library will not maintain a record of transactions. When no longer needed for administrative administration purposes, records will be expunged.
Personal records of patrons will not be disclosed unless:
- The library receives an order from a court of competent jurisdiction, requesting the information because the merits of public disclosure clearly exceed the demands for individual privacy.
- The BSBL will publish statistical reports regarding library registration and book circulation, but will not report any individual identification in the reports.
- The Bulverde/Spring Branch Library records will be disclose to the extent necessary to recover overdue, lost or stolen materials and to collect reparations (See Overdue Materials section)
- The information is at the request or consent of the individual who is the subject of the record or information
- The information is needed for library administrative purposes. Patron records are available to library staff for use in conducting ordinary library business. Patron records may be shared with automation vendors in the normal course of database creation and management or to agencies using the information to collect outstanding fees. The library will not provide patron information for commercial purposes.
The Bulverde/Spring Branch Library endorses the recommendations of the American Library Association’s (ALA) Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records.
Patrons are advised that the library must comply with the provisions of the USA Patriot Act of October, 2001.
We charge $10.00 per exam for proctoring exams. The librarian who proctors will collect the $10.00 fee when the exam is taken.